Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In the midst of all that is happening in the world right now, I was just blessed with the opportunity to stop and remember the short life of a miraculous little girl, Amber Rose Kimlinger.

For those touched by the gift of her spirit, there is so much that never needs to be said. This child demonstrated grace with every breath she took. (click here to read a Star Tribune article about Amber and her family)

Amber was born with a rare syndrome that most assumed would limit her life to only a few short days. With love and care, this child fought to live. She endured much but fought on. If she had lacked will, she would surely not have survived the many times her life flirted with death.
Amber grew to love her parents, her sister, her grandparents, Elmo, the many people who entered the circle of her life and life itself. Amber was so much more than most people could ever see. Amber gave so much more to her community and the world than many do in their healthy lives that span decades.
For those who never had the opportunity to know her or her family, it would be difficult for mere words to convey the many reasons why they all deserve our respect, love and gratitude.

Amber's parents, Tom and Lisa, are the sort of people that we should all strive to be like. No matter what challenges they have had to face (and as an outsider I feel able to say that they have faced more than most of us could ever imagine) they turned to each other and to their faith and plunged into living.

I have several children with disabilities and hope that I am the parent, and the advocate, they deserve. When I struggle with decisions about my kids and our lives, I often think of Tom and Lisa- of their spirit and their faith.

I am sure that they have their moments of "Why?" They are just as human as the rest of us. But in the end, they seem to have so much more than many of us.

Where did and do they find their strength? Their commitment to each other and their beautiful daughters? The confidence to challenge the doctors and the medical system that often understandably didn't know what to do to help ease their daughter's pain but also didn't seem interested in figuring it out? How did they develop the ability to find joy in every accomplishment and every milestone and also in the many seemingly sorrowful experiences, as well?

I know they find their strength through their faith and this faith carries them full steam ahead through long tunnels and up steep hills.

When my faith wavers and my hopes dim, when I have tough days and the kids aren't doing as well as I hope, I pray "Thy will be done." I also pray for the strength to live like Lisa and Tom.

My prayers are with Amber and Lisa and Tom and their family. I ask that yours be as well.

In loving memory of Amber Rose Kimlinger...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]